Friday, October 29, 2010

Another Compelling Ellen Hopkins Book, Burned

Unlike in Crank, Glass and the conclusion Fallout, Burned by Ellen Hopkins is about a normal, average, Mormon girl. I found this to be an addictive and compelling, just like I find all her books to be. I honestly just love her story telling, poetry style. Makes it hard to put the book down.  Behind the style though, I think she hits the hard to talk about topics and hits them with just the right amount of force.

Burned focus on Pattyn, not Patty definitely not Pat, the eldest daughter of six in a Mormon family. For most of her life she's been a good little Mormon girl, but she starts questioning things. Like is she really some man's property? Does she really need to follow her father's rules, a man that beats her mother? Will she die a virgin and forever roam the earth without a body because she lacks a Mormon husband to bring her to heaven? Is the Mormon way really her way?

She meets a boy and starts her downward spiral, according to her father that is. He packs her off to his sister's house for the summer as punishment. Not mention her mother is finally pregnant with a boy. Out in the foreverland Pattyn becomes a strong, confident, loved young woman. She also becomes pregnant by her one forever love.

I don't want to give too much away, but this story will definitely make you cry and smile. (Or maybe that's just my pregnancy hormones.) But I think it's a great story of love and finding yourself.

I would recommend this to anyone who thinks they might just be "too plain" to be loved. It definitely reminds you that someone out there loves the light you shine.

2 comments:

Ellen Hopkins said...

Thanks so much! Glad you loved the book. It is a fabulous love story, I think.

Amanda Jillian said...

You're welcome! I've read all but one I believe. This is my second to the Crank books. =)

Post a Comment